Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Ever hear of a theremin?

My first website was designed by Jason Barile and he introduced me to the theremin through his website, thereminworld.com.  It’s a very cool instrument.  My new website was designed by John Hoge (his link is on the sidebar), who is an associate of Jason’s and co-editor of thereminworld.com.  Since theremins keep popping up in my life, I thought I’d tell you about them (all my info comes from John).  It’s hard to explain, so I want you to click on the links at the end of this post so you can see and hear one for yourself.  You’ll be glad you did.

The box she's standing in front of?  That's a theremin!
Everything about this album cover is fun to look at.

The theremin is one of the first electronic musical instruments (invented in Russia in 1920) and is the only instrument you play without touching it. Without touching it! It looks like a box with two antennas extending out on opposite sides—one antenna is horizontal and the other is vertical. The notes are controlled by the distance of your hands from the antennas. Freaky? Oh yes it is. Go take a look. I wish I knew how to put a performance on the blog. Some day I will!

2 comments: