Thursday, August 26, 2010

A delicious, healthy breakfast to start the new school year off right


I tried.  I promise I did--I tried really hard.  At least once a year I make a big bowl of hot oatmeal for breakfast.  It looks delicious and full of nice texture.  This time I added dried cherries and brown sugar to the bowl.  I let the fabulous grandboy help me make it so we both could enjoy it together. 

All I can say is yuck.  I DON'T like it. Grandboy wouldn't even try it.  He's not a fan of mushy things--he just recently gave mashed potatoes a try (imagine life without mashed potatoes?).   I ate most of my bowl, but I did not like it one bit.  WHY?  Why can't I like hot oatmeal like so many millions of happy people?  I love, love love oatmeal cookies.  I enjoy an ocassional bar of oatmeal soap (not to eat silly) and I moisturize faithfully with Aveeno, that stalwart of colloidal oatmeal. 

I gave the oatmeal a try today kind of as a penance.  Yesterday I ate 3 Ding Dongs.  Yes, 3.  It was a bad day and Ding Dongs just make me feel better.  I read in Ree Drummond's blog recently that she eats Ding Dongs too.  Made me like her even more. Her photos of life on a ranch are phenomenal.  Gorgeous horses, cows, sunsets, sunrises--all everyday occurences in her life.

I'm not giving up on the oatmeal and I will give away the rest of the box of Ding Dongs (oh, did I not mention that I bought a whole box?).  Hope you have a great day and I hope that all the kids you know have a GREAT year at school.

Ciao,
Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment