Oh har dee har har, what a punny title. And the picture that inspired it is straight from the Pottery Barn website. I went there in search of a quick photo cause that's where everyone goes. While I do not want your space to look like a PB catalog (so sterile), I do understand that we get some good jumping off ideas with that huge, mass produced retail company. But this time you're trying to get it right, right? So step away from the mall--for now--and head out to thrift shops, antique shops, junk stores, flea markets or your own attic. And be thinking about places you love to visit; whether vacation spots, the tiny town you grew up in, your grandmother's kitchen, wherever, wherever, wherever. Pick apart your fond memories and find some elements that you can bring into your newly freshened space. Here are some rules to guide you:
1) TAKE YOUR TIME. It's better to temporarily live with a rather sparse space than to have it packed with crappy crapola that you bought off the clearance table in some shall be nameless store. Find things here and there that really remind you of people and places that you love.
2) Always have a bit of sparkle in the room. "A bit" is the key here. Something shiny needs to be in every room. Whether it's a silver candlestick or a mother of pearl framed mirror (or a mirror of any kind--they're shiny) or a brass lamp. Look around in your cupboards, I'll bet you have a silver tray that you drag out for Christmas. Use it now to hold a small stack of tiny old books.
3) Texture. I think I talked about this already somewhere. Have some texure in the room. Examples are a nubby throw, a seagrass rug, a rattan trunk, wicker balls in a bowl, an old crusty piece of architectural salvage.
4) Pillows for the chairs. Here's an easy place to have fun. Don't get too tasteful with your pillows. That is so boring. Buy one of mine. Shameless, I know.
5) Go easy. Not too much stuff. You will lose that clean, fresh feeling if you go overboard. The eye needs a place to rest.
6) Good grief, that's enough rules. Who died and left me queen? I'm just a bossy, bossy girl.
7) One more. Have fun and enjoy your room. Don't be all serious and careful about decorating. If your rooms still don't make you smile, please call an interior designer to help you. That's why we're here!